Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Lawrence Primal World

I suppose since it's been almost a year since I've posted an entry I could at least attempt to recap this last year.

I am still working at Walmart, though I grow weary of this establishment and the way it treats its employees, particularly myself. I've began the job-hunting process, though it is quite tedious and I am not one that is eager to seek employment elsewhere. Not that I wouldn't like to work some place else, I just hate change I guess. It's a terrible feeling knowing that you've become accustomed to being treated like shit but are still unwilling to do much about it. But I will, soon enough.
I live with Jon Urban as opposed to Brian and Madison. They were great roommates and much better at decorating their home than Jon and I. I guess it helps to have that feminine touch. I miss seeing them all the time but Jon's a pretty fun guy to be around unless he's black-out drunk, which, just so happens to be, most of the time. We live about a block north of the football stadium which is ideal if you're into that sort of thing. I really love the neighborhood we live in though. It's almost suburban in a way. Very quiet during the day time. Quiet and quaint. But then there's about a hundred drunk college students roaming the streets on the weekends. It's rather annoying at times. I guess I can't complain as I am usually one of them.
I still haven't been in a relationship since moving to Lawrence. I'm not quite sure that there's a reason for that. I just haven't really made a huge effort to meet girls other than the ones I meet through Jon. He usually meets girls that are whores though. It's like he's a slut-magnet. I have met a few nice girls, but none that really take notice in me as anything other than Jon Urban's friend/roommate. I guess I have myself to blame for that. So the search continues. It's hard to stand out in a town where you're surrounded by thousands of people your age who are probably a better version of you. I'm a pretty outgoing guy but shy in comparison to anything Jon can pull off, I sometimes end up being his shadow.
More of my friends are turning 21 by the day, it's nice to be able to be able to invite them out to the bars and all that. Nothing's really changed though. It's always still the same few friends going to the bars getting drunk and not remembering any of it.
Our drinking habits haven't changed much. Still drinking too much. Still hanging out at the same people's parties. Still doing the same old things we've done before. But I still love every moment of it.
I've made some pretty good friends here in Lawrence. Some pretty good acquaintances too. The friends I've made are a lot of fun to be around. They're all single for the most part so that's nice too. The majority of my friends from Garden City that live here are in serious relationships so they generally do what people in serious relationships do. And that's fine. I'm happy for them, I really am. I love them all very much. It's just hard to really go out and be crazy with people who have a second opinion. That little voice of reasoning. That just sounds negative and it's not. It's actually probably a really good thing because I often find myself in situations I'd rather not be in. It's just nice to be good friends with single guys who are always down to do the things that single guys do.
I guess I've found out a lot about myself in this year than I thought I would. I can tell that I've grown up a lot. I guess I've gone through a lot in the last year. It never really occurred to me until just now. It's like the last year just flashed before my eyes. It's easy to forget about the little things in life. I've grown but I'm still the same mess I was before. Maybe that's not progress but it definitely isn't regress.
I still feel like I'm searching for something though. Maybe I just need to be back in school because that's about the only thing that everyone else seems to be doing that I am not. I want to go back, I've wanted to for quite some time. It never made much sense to leave college for two years in the first place. Maybe I was just using that as an excuse because I didn't want to grow up.

No comments: